Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunday Brunch


Had our friends Sherri and Chip over for brunch today. We made a french toast casserole - I've had the recipe for several years and have made it a few times. Its always been very good, but today it was awesome. When I've made it before, I've just made half a batch since there were only two of us, which may make it less custardy. Also might have been the bread, which was great today (see below). Anyway, its really easy because you make it all the night before and then just bake it in the morning. And its delicious! Here's my recipe (which I got from my friend Debby D):

18" long french bread (or baguette)
[Yesterday at the store I wanted bigger bread pieces than baguette, so picked out what I thought was a french loaf. When I got it home I realized that the tag said "Portugese loaf". It was very white bread, and denser than French bread. I worried a little about it, but didn't want to go back to the store so decided to go for it. Turned out to be great.]

8 eggs
3 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cut bread into 1-inch slices. Place in dish.

Beat eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Carefully pour over bread. (Bread may start to float but just gently press it down into the liquid)

Dot each piece of bread with a pat of butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. I use a bit more cinnamon than called for because I like it.

Cover and refrigerate over night. Put uncovered in cold oven. Turn on oven to 350' (or 325' if using a glass dish). Bake 45-50 minutes until golden and puffy.

Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.

See pictures below - Enjoy !

No comments:

Post a Comment